Year 3 - Owls Class
Welcome to Owls class!
Welcome to Year 3; we are Owls Class. This is an important year as it is the first year in KS2 (Juniors). Throughout the year we will be working very hard on a range of different topics. You can see more here… (we are on cycle B.)
In English, we will look at an array of carefully selected books that complement our topic studies - carrying out a wide range of reading and writing activities based around them. We will, of course, be developing our reading, writing, spelling and grammar skills. Spellings are issued in class on Mondays and exercised and reviewed throughout the week. We use Spelling Shed and therefore, these are accessible online at home via the website logins. Reading is a major focus; we will be improving our reading comprehension and stamina. Do update the Go Read website with home reading too!
In Maths, we will be using Maths Shed, focusing on a range of key skills as well as ensuring our mental and written methods are trustworthy and becoming more efficient. Whenever possible we link Maths to real life situations. In addition to our maths lessons, we will be solving five numeric problems every morning in our early work: this is the Maths 5-a-Day. We will also be practising our times tables frequently to help us gain confidence and fluency to help us in all areas of Maths. Times Tables Rockstars is really helpful for this and, again, can be accessed at home via the website.
PSHE is based around the Jigsaw Scheme, which we work on each week as well as enjoying teamwork games and relaxation time in a dedicated session each week. The scheme of work caters for all the student needs and includes Being Me in My World; Celebrating Difference; Dreams and Goals; Healthy Me; Relationships; and Changing Me.
PE is on Thursdays currently, though it is expected that children will have their PE kits in school from Monday – Friday in case we have any special sessions or the timetable is altered due to inclement weather.
How can parents help?
- Reading at home. Please remember to log all home reading on Go Read so that they can be awarded stamps towards our school reading rewards prizes. Please note, it is fine to sign Go Read whenever your child reads something, not just their school books. Enjoying reading is just as important as building up a range of skills! Making predictions about and discussing any TV programmes that you may watch together. This really helps build an understanding of the world, as well as helping with comprehension and creative writing skills.
- Everyday maths such as shopping, cooking, weights and measures.
- Time. Telling the time using both analogue and digital clocks and watches.
- Times Tables especially 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 8x and 10x.
- Number Bonds to 10 and 20 (e.g. 4 + ? =10; 7 + ? =10; ? + 12 = 20 etc.)
Thank you for your support.